Thursday, January 27, 2011

Daring Bakers' January Challenge - Biscuit Joconde Imprimé / Entremets


The January 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Astheroshe of the blog accro. She chose to challenge everyone to make a Biscuit Joconde Imprime to wrap around an Entremets dessert.

I was not looking forward to making this month’s Daring Bakers’ challenge. In fact, I put it off until the last possible minute. Why? Because it looked freaking hard.

To me, an entremets was something you serve between courses in a meal, to cleanse the palate, like a sorbet, or a shot of liquor. But the kind of entremets we were required to make this month was actually a dessert. The core of the challenge was to make a decorated biscuit Joconde, to wrap around a mould and then fill with whatever kind of sweet filling we chose.


It was the decorating part that had me scared. Making desserts look fancy and pretty has never been my forte, and I’d never worked with décor paste. In fact, I did have some trouble with that part. I wanted to make a simple striped pattern, but somehow my stripes all but disappeared during the baking process. Oh well, at least my Joconde is a cool, funky pink!

Once the tricky Joconde part was done with (and it really wasn’t all that difficult to make, apart from the disappearing stripes), I had some fun with the filling. I made three separate layers: lemon curd, raspberry mousse, and chocolate mousse – three of my favourite flavours. They half detached from the Joconde wrapping when I cut out pieces, but other than that I was quite pleased with the combination.


So, Asteroshe, thank you for pushing me to make more of a presentation effort with this challenge – even if I didn’t quite succeed in reproducing the picture I had in my head, it was still a great learning experience.

Don’t forget to check out the challenge recipes at the Daring Kitchen, along with the Daring Bakers’ blogroll!

I’ve decided to include the recipes for filling components, since they were initially components of different desserts. This filling would actually make a great dessert on its own, without the Joconde wrapping: just pour the layers in individual ramekins or glasses. The recipes were somewhat adapted for the purpose of this particular project. Namely, I slightly overcooked the lemon curd, and purposefully made the chocolate mousse drier than if it had been a standalone dessert, so that the entremets would hold together.



Lemon curd
Adapted from Tout un chef! Patrice Demers

The juice of 3 lemons
3 eggs
100g (3.5 oz, 1/2 cup) granulated sugar
100g (3.5 oz, 1/2 cup) butter, cut into pieces
1 sheet of gelatine

Soak the gelatine in cold water until softened (about one minute), then drain and reserve.

Combine the lemon juice, eggs, sugar, and butter in a saucepan, and whisk over medium heat until butter is melted. Whisking constantly, bring to a boil and cook until thickened (you should be able to make visible, lasting traces with your whisk). Remove from heat and stir in the gelatine. Strain, pour into mould, and chill.


Raspberry mousse
From José Maréchal’s Macarons

125g (4.5 oz) frozen raspberries, thawed
4 sheets of gelatine
240 ml (1 cup) heavy cream
2 egg whites
60g (1/3 cup) granulated sugar

Soak the gelatine in cold water until softened (about one minute), then drain and reserve.

Purée the raspberries with a blender or hand mixer. Transfer to a saucepan, cook over low heat, and stir in the gelatine until dissolved. Remove from heat, let cool, and reserve.

Whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks, adding the sugar gradually.

Beat the cream into stiff peaks.

Using a flexible spatula, gently fold the raspberry coulis into the whipped cream. Fold in the egg whites. Pour into mould, and chill.


Chocolate mousse
From Patrice Demers’ La carte des desserts

500 ml (2 cups) heavy cream
125 ml (1/2 cup) whole milk
125 ml (1/2 cup) heavy cream
2 tbsp granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
350g (12 oz) dark chocolate discs or chips

Beat the 500 ml of cream into stiff peaks. Reserve.

In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks together with 1 tbsp sugar. In a saucepan, bring the remaining cream, the milk, and the remaining sugar to a boil. Pour the boiling liquid gradually over the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until thick enough to cover the back of a wooden spoon. Pour the mixture through a strainer onto the chocolate, and let sit for one minute. Whisk the chocolate and cream mixture together, until smooth.

With a flexible spatula, fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Pour into mould and chill.

14 comments:

  1. That looks great, and is quite fun, what with that pink color! Your fillings look and sound great, too - I agree, they'd make a great dessert on their own, but are quite stunning with the great and colorful wrapper! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your filling looks absolutely divine! I love the love the look of the chocolate and raspberry mousse together. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A total success. Your joconde is beautiful and those mousse sound amazing. This was indeed a challenge and an educational experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds amazing. The stripes are great, no worried about them disappearing. And the chocolate, lemon and raspberry combinaton is calling to me! I love this dessert! Great job on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colour of your joconde, and I don't know what it was with the disappearing stripes, but I had the same problem. Your filling all sound delicious, though I would never have thought of using them all together. I usually go for only one flavour, but I need to start mixing it up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful colours!!! I LOVE your dessert flavours, delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the vivid pink color! And thanks for sharing the recipes of the individual layers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. But, how did you do it? How did you teach yourself to do it? Where is the recipe for it? This is something I have always wanted to learn about - and maybe found it so hard as I never knew what it was called, until now. Simone, from Junglefrog took a baking class where she learned how to do this professionally, and I never got those recipes, either. :)
    I wonder why the filling separated from the cake? Did you leave it sit overnight? In any case: BRAVO! What an incredible challenge and I think yours is really really pretty!. Love your brave colour and I think your stripes look lively!
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would have never thought your were freaked out about this challenge....it turned out beautifully! Wish I could say the same about mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your colors look so vibrant, and I love the flavors of raspberry and chocolate together! Nice job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh God! That does look difficult. It seems that you manage to make it perfect, using some of Patrice Demers dessert recipes are great choice. Bravo for such a great effort!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohh lemon curd is my favorite! Yours looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really an accomplishment. Kudos. This looks beautiful and those flavors can't be beat. I truly am in awe. I hope you have a wonderful weeekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete